Saturday, February 16, 2013

Which is worthier, kingdom or family?


When Troy fell because of the Trojan War, Aeneas’s wife, Creusa, begged Aeneas to be considered with her son instead of being engaged at war. Thinking about Homer’s Iliad, it also has a same scene wherein Andromache pleads Hector not to fight and think about their family.

So what did Aeneas and Hector does? Aeneas didn’t obey his wife because he knows that his future is that he will be a successful leader. On the other side, Hector didn’t also obey his wife because he thought of the country first. 

I learned one value in those two scenes, think twice. Thinking about what decision would be better is a must. Is it for the kingdom or for my family? If I were in the same scene, I would rather fight for my kingdom, rather than my family because I can save more people, even though it would be a really hard time for me. So, how do the two scenes differ? Well, they differ on one thing, Creusa had never foreseen Aeneas’s death while Andromache foreseen it in Hector.

No comments:

Post a Comment